SCRIBD unauthorized charge - Paypal support saying it's valid???

jobie804
Contributor
Contributor

I got an alert from paypal that my account was charged by SCRIBD for  $12.98. Was surprised because I never heard of SCRIBD before. I immediately reported Unaothorized activity with Paypal support only to be told that it was not unauthorized? I also immediately canceled the recurring furture payments from Manage Scribd Payments.

I did some google search and found similar reports by Paypal users that they were also charged by this company and some reports of this company hacking into paypal accounts. Are there other people in here with similar issue? I would be very cautiious of this company and report them to the BBB.

Since I got no help at all from Paypal Support, I called  SCRIBD support number listed on the transaction receipt only to be told they do not have phone support. I emailed them about this and waiting on a resolution to refund this charge. If they don't refund the $12.98, it's not a big loss but posting this experience here and on other review sites for other people to be aware of this SCAM!

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

jobie804
Contributor
Contributor

Even their site says I do not have an ACTIVE subscription and yet Paypal still ignores my dispute for unauthorized access!

ice_screenshot_20230929-160721.png

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @jobie804

Welcome back to the PayPal Community! 

I'm sorry to hear your unauthorized dispute regarding a subscription payment towards SCRIBD was denied. Typically, unauthorized disputes cannot be approved on subscription transactions if the subscription was established prior to the unauthorized transaction. For example, if you had initiated the first payment a few months ago, and then someone hacked into the SCRIBD account to make more payments, there wouldn't have been any unauthorized PayPal logins. 

However, since it sounds like this was the first subscription payment to take place, I recommend reaching out to PayPal's Customer Support and requesting an appeal. You can contact Support by clicking 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal page. Support is also available if you send a DM to @AskPayPal on Twitter or Instagram at instagram.com/PayPal. Additionally, you can send a PM to facebook.com/PayPal.

I hope this information helps you appeal your case! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

HelenR3
New Community Member
This has just happened to me. I’ve been charged £10.99 and when I look back I was also charged in October. It’s the same amount as I pay for Apple Music so I just didn’t click when it went out. I’ve never heard of Scribd, have never downloaded their app and have never had so much as an email to or from them. I’ve cancelled the ongoing subscription charge and emailed the contact details to request details and asked for a refund. I might also report it as fraud.
Login to Me Too

VKJNZ
Contributor
Contributor

This has just happened to me too. I do not have a Scribd account and have never used Scribd. Yet, PayPal is saying the transaction is not unauthorized. PayPal this is an ongoing issue - clearly there is a problem.

Login to Me Too

VKJNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Update on this. I did turn out to have initiated a Scribd account. Scribd has multiple businesses, and via one of them I had subscribed, so I could access a document I needed. It is worth contacting Scribd directly - I found them very helpful.

Login to Me Too

ArleneNZ
New Community Member
This also happened to me. NEVER heard of Scribd until first subscription was automatically paid from my credit card to PayPal to Scribd. I'm not impressed response, this was an unauthorized transaction - definitely.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.