Rio otapa swordtails in the US

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Not to take away from the Rio Otopa strain but, have you considered keeping Xiphophorus montezumae? This strain has the longest sword. These definitely stand out in a livebearer tank.

2a14ce7be4d74cf96a5cb0340acb8a19.jpg

Xiphophorus_montezumae_Tomosopo_(10)_large.jpg

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Someone posted about these not too long ago, I'm sorry I can't remember the site but I would like some too in the near future so hopefully someone knows.
Hopefully I can find us both some!
Not to take away from the Rio Otopa strain but, have you considered keeping Xiphophorus montezumae? This strain has the longest sword. These definitely stand out in a livebearer tank.

View attachment 1268272

View attachment 1268273
I did see those pop a few times in my search but never really looked in depth at them. Some beautiful fish though. Would you happen to know of any other difference between the two strains besides the montezumae having the largest sword? I think the Rios are the largest of the group

Reactions: Toiletcar

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
OP try selectaquatics.com or look on Aquabid.com under wild type livebarers.
Rio Otapa is just the catch location of x. Helleri. There are other variations that look much niceer IMO like the Yucatán variety.
A lot of these wild type swordtail species do get larger than the hybrids. I think most of that is line breeding and being crossed with platties.
But I believe the largest swordtail species is x. Mayae. They get 6" and a much thicker bodied fish than the Rio Otapa x. Helleri.
Pic of Mayae from Select Aquatics.

IMG_4610.JPG

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
OP try selectaquatics.com or look on Aquabid.com under wild type livebarers.
Rio Otapa is just the catch location of x. Helleri. There are other variations that look much niceer IMO like the Yucatán variety.
A lot of these wild type swordtail species do get larger than the hybrids. I think most of that is line breeding and being crossed with platties.
But I believe the largest swordtail species is x. Mayae. They get 6" and a much thicker bodied fish than the Rio Otapa x. Helleri.
Pic of Mayae from Select Aquatics.

View attachment 1268479
Select aquatics seems to be the only one that has any of the wild type. Aquabid only comes up with past auctions when I look. I saw somewhere on select the prices for shipping and I cant find them anymore. They looked a little high if I remember right? Plus I dont want to grow out fry. $17 for a pair of swordtails seems pretty steep to me

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Select aquatics seems to be the only one that has any of the wild type. Aquabid only comes up with past auctions when I look. I saw somewhere on select the prices for shipping and I cant find them anymore. They looked a little high if I remember right? Plus I dont want to grow out fry. $17 for a pair of swordtails seems pretty steep to me
Some of these wild types can be pricey. But the good thing is they are easy to breed. Those two might make up for the cost in fry.
Select Aquatics had the Rio Otapa helleri not too long ago. They get a lot of really rare livebarers, and come highly recommended. I will be purchasing fish from them once I get more tank space.

Also check goliadfarms.com. They don't have any wild swordtails now, but I'm sure eventually they will. Some of these fish go fast, so you have to check the sites daily.

Goliad Farms has these guys which I want. Prices are good.

IMG_4611.PNG

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Some of these wild types can be pricey. But the good thing is they are easy to breed. Those two might make up for the cost in fry.
Select Aquatics had the Rio Otapa helleri not too long ago. They get a lot of really rare livebarers, and come highly recommended. I will be purchasing fish from them once I get more tank space.

Also check goliadfarms.com. They don't have any wild swordtails now, but I'm sure eventually they will. Some of these fish go fast, so you have to check the sites daily.

Goliad Farms has these guys which I want. Prices are good.

View attachment 1268485
Ill have to keep an eye out. Maybe I will just shoot the guy an email. These will be going in a big 330 CA cichlid community tank so it will probably be a good Idea to keep a few extra to breed them.

but thats a pretty sweet looking molly

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Ill have to keep an eye out. Maybe I will just shoot the guy an email. These will be going in a big 330 CA cichlid community tank so it will probably be a good Idea to keep a few extra to breed them.

but thats a pretty sweet looking molly
What cichlids do you have? If you are open to other large livebarers look at Poecilia petenensis. They will get larger than the swords. I think they max out around 8".

IMG_4612.JPG

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I saw Otapa on the Thatfishplace web site.
I had a spawning group of X mayae a few years back in Milwaukee, and other wild type swords are commonly kept by aquarists there.
You may want to put a query on the Milwaukee Aquarium Society web site forum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store