Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Call it Willis Tower or the Sears Tower - It is Still Magical

I visited the Willis Tower when its name still was Sears Tower and it continued to be that way for 36 years. This is a 110-story, 1,450-foot skyscraper in Chicago, Illinois. Some common knowledge gathered from the displays near the ticket window on the basement floor tells that at completion in 1973, it surpassed the World Trade Center in New York City to become the tallest building in the world, a title that it held for nearly 25 years. It was also the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere for 41 years until the new One World Trade Center surpassed it in 2014. It also held the title of Tallest Office Building until 2014.

Sears Tower Is Now Called The Willis TowerSears Tower Is Now Called The Willis Tower

The Sears tower is an amazing experience and one of the best places to view all of Chicago. I'd say you haven’t seen Chicago until you have been here. In other words, if you want to feel you can fly go there.

During other days of the year, people reportedly have spent several hours in the queue to the elevator but not for me for I visited the Sears Tower during December when the visibility was limited but that did not take the fun away any bit. They say you can see up to 50 miles on a clear day but it was not my day on my maiden trip to the Windy City which Chicago is also known as. I also saw some people trying to show others 4 distinct states and it was amply clear from the facial expressions that they were actually clueless about what they were really looking at in the distant horizon.

I had a wonderful time in this building since the waiting time in the queue also doubles up learning about the history of the building and also the region which is quite entertaining. It is such a tall, magnificent structure in the heart of a magnificent city, the Sears Tower is more engaging and impressive than you might think, it is magical!

The Sears Tower observation deck is a must-try wonderful experience and the speedy elevator takes you to 103 floors in 90 seconds flat and opens up to a view that is both thrilling & fascinating. My techno brain convinced me how cool it was to go 17 miles per hour or 24 feet per second up a 103 story building. 

There are bathrooms and drinking fountains and you can bring food and drinks beside the regular restaurants, vending machines, and a souvenir shop.

Have you ever got an opportunity to view the surrounding area from a faraway distance atop a tall place?
I'd be interested in knowing your experiences.

Until then... Happy Guiding 😊

This article is part of the Illinois #StateChallenge Meetup and Trivia Quiz hosted by @Kwiksatik  and @Denise_Barlock

Tushar_Suradkar_0-1596075880486.png Accessibility Features 

Given the magnificent and well-planned building that the Sears tower is, all necessary accessibility arrangements for the differently-able and also for the vision-impaired are available.

✔️  Ramp access.

✔️  A wheelchair-accessible Entrance. 

✔️  A wheelchair-accessible Parking.

✔️  Wheelchair-accessible Washroom/Toilet.

✔️  Wheelchair-accessible Elevators.

✔️  Tactile Paths for the Vision-Impaired.

✔️  Extra Large Displays for the Vision-Impaired.

What Else To Do In Chicago

While you are still Chicago, these are the top 10 recommended places:

1. Millennium Park
  2. The Navy Pier
  3. Museum of Science and Industry
  4. Buckingham Fountain
  5. Field Museum of Natural History 
  6. Michigan Avenue and the Magnificent Mile
  7. Wrigley Field
  8. Lincoln Park 
  9. Chicago Riverwalk and Lakefront Trail
  10. Oriental Institute Museum

Chicago, IL, USA
14 comments
Level 8

Re: Call it Willis Tower or the Sears Tower - It is Still Magical

Only been there twice @Tushar_Suradkar and it's been awhile, but wow! That is such a cool tower. I think the glass ledges were being built my last time there. Nice photos as well!

I'm still guilty of calling it the Sears Tower and try to correct myself whenever I call it that. 🙂

Google Verified 360 Street View Photography | LGC Travel and Advice |
Level 7

Hello @Tushar_Suradkar .

what an incredible way of writing😍Just couldn’t stop reading it till I finished every sentence. The picture looks so pretty that I would really want to visit this place and the clouds beside the Top floors of the building makes it ‘On Clouds ‘ environment.

Even I had such experience when I visited ‘Burj Khalifa’ in Dubai. I can really feel how exciting your elevator journey would have been. Even I was amused the way Elevator took me to 148th floor of Burj Khalifa within Few seconds.

Thank you for the wonderful Information you provided to everyone 😊

Connect Moderator

You lucked out having got an opportunity to visit the tower twice @PaulJahn though I unabashedly call it the Sear tower for that was name when I visited it the first and the last time 😁 The glass ledges were not there in 2008 that I remember.

Connect Moderator

Thank you @AbhijeetHodbe for the additional phrases to describe the experience - fully agree 👍

The Burj being a comparatively modern structure must be having a significantly faster elevator.

Looking forward to reading and 'see'  your experiences at the Burj 😊

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Hello @Tushar_Suradkar 110 floors is no ordinary building!!! Thanks for sharing this on connect. Did you stop at 103 seeing it will be very cold there or did you go all the way to 110? ?

The highest I have been is maybe 10 floors high🤭.

20180601_154815_compress1.jpg

This is also my star photo.(has about 1/2 a million views)

20200930_092907.jpg

These are the 2 pictures of the best views I have taken atop a tall building(taken in Liberia Monrovia)

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

Thanks for confirming @Sophia_Cambodia  After your note, I went back and changed the setting and now suddenly I am visible to the world. A huge thanks go to you 😊

Connect Moderator

Awesome photos @SholaIB no doubt they are star photos.

The landscape and the views from there are very fascinating, especially when we know places on the ground.

The deck is mostly indoors and insulated from the outer world so not an issue with cold 😊

Level 7

Great post as always @Tushar_Suradkar 

The tower indeed is a classic skyscraper, it must have been a magical experience altogether 😍😍 Thanks for sharing this must visit place in Chicago 😉

Lots of love and best wishes
Mayuri Kubal
#LocalGuideOfMaharashtra
#IndiaLocalGuide

Check my latest post here  5 Years of Local Guiding and many more to come!!!