Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanna5_gw

First Hoya to bloom.

shanna5
15 years ago

This is one my first hoyas. I bought it at a local garden center and it has recently grown a peduncle, produced buds and bloomed.

Do you agree this is Hoya Motoskei?

Thanks for looking

Shanna

Comments (20)

• kellyknits
    15 years ago

I haven't a clue, but nice picture, Shanna!

Kelly

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kelly

• ravenwv
    15 years ago

I don't have a clue either ..but it's pretty!

Kelly...

Not only do we need a "WV Hoya Club"...but I guess we can have a "don't have a clue club" too :)

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    15 years ago

I'll join the "don't have a clue club" but it sure is pretty!
    ~Betsy

• Denise
    15 years ago

Congrats on your first blooms, Shanna. You never really get over the excitement of waiting for those buds to grow and open! I think it looks like carnosa from the blooms and from what I can see of the leaves. I don't have moteskei, but I've seen it touted as "the true carnosa" and I have NO idea what that means... Does it mean carnosa is not a true species? Does it mean what we think is carnosa is something else? I'm confused by these kinds of proclomations! Anyway, from the photos I've seen of moteskei, it seems the leaves look a little rounder (wider) than those on my old fashioned green carnosa.

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Shanna, I am so excited for you...That is so pretty!! Does it have a scent? What ever it turn out to be, it really is very pretty.

• kellyknits
    15 years ago

LOL- I'm with you, Raven, for both clubs!

Kelly

• ines_99
    15 years ago

I think what they mean about motoskei being the "true" carnosa, is that it is very similar in looks to some of the first carnosas brought into the country - the wide oval leaves especially. I have several solid green carnosas, and they all look different in some way, but motoskei is definitely the prettiest.

• greenthum1
    15 years ago

Well, it's safe to say it's a carnosa of some kind. At any rate, it is a beautiful bloom and your photographs show it off nicely!
    Ann

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Shanna, congrats on your first bloom!! Nice photo!
    Jan

• haxuan
    15 years ago

It's very pretty whatever it is. Congrats, Shanna.

Xuan

• hills
    15 years ago

I've heard the difference is that motoskei is truly white - not a tinge of pink at all to be seen. Yours do look a bit like motoskei. Looks gorgeous anyway, congratulations. does it smell good?

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your compliments.

I have had other hoyas bloom but have gotten them either with peduncles already on them and/or with buds etc. This is my first hoya to have grown a peduncle and bloomed. It is reassurance to me that I am doing something right. Whew!!!

Denise
    I was looking at the date I first noticed the peduncle and buds, it was May 27th and it finally started opening June 18th. Yes, I was excited for nearly 3 weeks waiting hoping the buds didn't blast so I would know forsure what the id was. I got it at a local garden center with no name on it, it was her grandmother's plant. I am also confused by all the name crazyness!!

Nancy and Hills
    I know this is bad but I have looked at it a ton but haven't smelled the bloom, it totally slipped my mind to smell it. The bloom and plant hang up high so I have to get a stepstool to get up there, guess that's why I havent thought of it cause it wasn't like it was just on the table and I could get really close to it.

Ann
    Yes I agree, some time of carnosa. As far as photography I have had this camera awhile but am still trying to figure out all the settings and stuff, I might be getting the hang of it.

Thanks for looking

Shanna

• gabro14
    15 years ago

Shanna,

Congrats! Yes, I agree that it looks like motoskei. My motoskei has those pure white blooms, whereas my carnosa has a pinkish hue to the blooms.

Here's my motoskei blooms:

And carnosa KP:

I also find that the leaves on motoskei are pretty roundish and pubescent on the undersides. That being said, there are so many different clones of "regular" carnosa...so who knows?

Here's some leaf pics (taken at 2 different times, so one set looks darker than the other):
    {{gwi:937634}}

{{gwi:957817}}

Whatever it is, congrats!

Gabi

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Gabi
    The leaves on my hoya in question are dark green in color with the flecks or splashes and not round more oblong, similar to the second picture, far left leaf. So like you said who knows, now I'm really confused. Whatever it is, it bloomed for me and obivously it has survived my care so that's all that matters. Thanks for your input and pictures.

shanna

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Another new peduncle and buds on Motoskei(?)

shanna

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Shanna,that color is going to be very pretty...show us when it opens!

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gabi
    You said in a recent post that motoskei has pubescent undersides... I thought that's what my big hoya was here, must be a carnosa then b/c mine doesn't have pubescent undersides.

It has 3 new peduncles with buds all fairly close in growing size. May have multiple blooms at once. That would be cool.

shanna

• gabro14
    15 years ago

Yes Shanna, I did mention that in a post today. But I also mentioned it on this thread as well (look at my post higher up with all the pictures)...I said "I also find that the leaves on motoskei are pretty roundish and pubescent on the undersides."

I bought my first motoskei from Ebay, and the undersides aren't pubescent. It made me ask on another forum about it, and it turns out that it is most likely H. carnosa cv. "Snowball", not motoskei. I also have one of those, and they look alike (very speckled). Maybe your's is that? Either way though...it's probably a carnosa if it doesn't have pubescent undersides. The motoskei that I know is labeled correctly is from the hawaiian grower.

Make sure you show us your carnosa in full bloom! The umbels last quite a long time, so you have a good chance of seeing them all open at the same time. What a show that will be!

Gabi

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK thanks for the info. I will definately take a picture with all three blooms.

shanna

Sponsored