Xiphophorus Montezumae

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Are they making a come back? I've heard of people picking them up from different parts of the country but i still haven't seen them in Leeds.

[/CHECK THAT OUT!

Xiphophorus_montezumae.jpg

I was unaware they had gone out of favor. They are beautiful fish but I have yet to find a real one and don't want to chance it on the internet sites like aquabid. It would be too easy for someone to send a fish that was sort of like a Monty but not really. I will be going to my club's auction in January and I know it is well attended. Then there is the ALA convention in the spring so I am still hoping to get some, there are bound to be some there.

I was unaware they had gone out of favor. They are beautiful fish but I have yet to find a real one and don't want to chance it on the internet sites like aquabid. It would be too easy for someone to send a fish that was sort of like a Monty but not really. I will be going to my club's auction in January and I know it is well attended. Then there is the ALA convention in the spring so I am still hoping to get some, there are bound to be some there.

Can't promise, but if you will be at the ALA Convention in the spring then I may be able to bring them over with me from the UK.

Of course, if you want pedigree stocks then the best place is the Xiphophorus Stock Centre in Texas.

I have had monties- of several different strains- for a number of years. Currently I have just one strain. I have never seen them offered in stores, only from hobbyists.

site1054.jpg

I have had monties- of several different strains- for a number of years. Currently I have just one strain. I have never seen them offered in stores, only from hobbyists.

site1054.jpg

Strains??

Montezumae are wild form fish so you do not really get strains, only different collections or morphs. The term strains really refers to cultivated species.

You will only find them in club auctions and similar places Aleem. I just got some last weekend at a club auction and must say that they were fairly dear although several pairs were offered during the day.

can you breed a monte with a kohaku and get the colouration of a kohaku [koi swordtail] and get a kohaku coloured monte [super long sword

Any cross that you make with a monty will never produce a monty. It might produce a viable hybrid that would have some of the characteristics of both parents but who knows which ones without experimenting with it. Do not refer to it as a monty anything if you ever decide to sell the cross. It is just an aquarium swordtail at that point. As DincHP said, there are no "strains" of montezumae swords.

Most reactions

Back