Some questions about a enclosure calculator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am using an online enclosure calculator that's asking for some question I don't understand, for example:

Diameter across the speaker cone including half of the cone-suspension.
Does that means that I should measure from just in the middle of the surround? Please see picture below.

attachment.php

I am also using a calculator to measure what's the driver displacement, it asked for effective cone diameter. What line is the correct?

attachment.php

And finally, the one way linear excursion. if the speaker manual says that xmax is 12mm, then the one way linear excursion is half of that number? 6mm ?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 54dfd.jpg
    54dfd.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,590
  • 54gfg.jpg
    54gfg.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,596
Last edited:
Link to the calculator, and to the woofer?

Effective diameter is center of surround to center of surround, or the average of yellow and green lines - although some would say it is the green line plus 1/3 of yellow line - green line. If the mfg specifies cone area you can back it out - since area = pi*D^2/4 , D=sqrt(area*4/pi)

Xmax is specified differently by different manufacturers, some specify peak-peak where you need to divide by 2, but most specify one way so you can use the number directly. (Coil length - gap length) / 2 is a common choice...

Displacement can mean a couple things. Could mean the volume displaced by the woofer in the cabinet or it could be Vd = Sd*Xmax

Now do you see why you need to give more information and links to things you are talking about?

Thanks, so the first pic is the right one when talking about effective cone diameter. Yes, I knew what driver displacement was, it's just the calculator asked for effective cone diameter in order to calculate what was the driver displacement, most brands never tell what's the driver displacement of the unit, so then users like me are in some trouble trying to determine that spec. Thanks.

These are the pages I was surfing on.
mh-audio.nl - Vented System
Speaker Driver Displacement Calculator

Hi I'm New to all this. Would the following mh-audio.nl - Vented System
Speaker Driver Displacement Calculator
be what I need to calculate enclosures. Also how do I choose speakers to place into a box. I would like to place a bass/midrange & a tweeter in to the box. How do I know what parts are required to do this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.