• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Turbo Story - Myth or Real ??

saaron

My college roommate was a 2002 fan. He had a '76 when I met him in our Freshman year in '84.

He told me that he had owned a 2002 turbo. As I recall, he said it was a special version that was created for auto shows (I think that was the story). It was not silver or white; it was black. I think he said the interior was different than the standard turbo - it didn't have the red gauge surround; it had real wood, and other trim was different. He may have said it had leather seats.

What think? Anyone ever heard of anything like that? Was this created in my mind by too many Schaefer Lights?

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Hmmm...... Ive heard that BMW built one or two black factory Turbos, the rest were Polaris and Charmonix. Thats all I know.

post-8428-1366759726338_thumb.jpg

post-8428-13667597264285_thumb.jpg

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

Sounds like he was getting some various stories mixed up.

1) There was one black 2002 turbo built. Who knows where this car is or if it actually existed.

2) There was a special run of black 2002s in '76 at the end with (I think) red leather seats (basically Lux package cars).

My guess is that he probably owned one of those late '76s with that option package.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Thanks for the replies.

It had occurred to me that my buddy simply had a turbo that had been painted black at some point. As many of you pointed out, the only stock turbos I'd ever seen were Polaris or Cham.

The bit about it being some sort of "special run" was the intriguing part. Next time I see him I'll see if I can get any additional info, or if he has any pics. If I find out anything interesting I'll post a follow-up.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

know it...

The last 200 1976 US spec 2002s were painted silver; all had electric sunroofs, late style alloy wheels (the "soup plate" wheels) and red leather (real leather, not vinyl) interiors. I remember seeing one advertised for sale in the Roundel many years ago (early 80s IIRC) but I've never actually seen one.

I'd love to find one--would make a good Roundel story. Anyone know about one of these cars or has ever seen one?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There were two schwartz turbos. One of them is 4291491, and the other I can't remember cause I'm at work. #1491 resides in Bavaria, and I have the owner's name and several photos of it.

The black car above is, as they said, a polaris car respray.

There were ten total exotic color turbos, and three of their locations are known currently. I've been researching them for the past few months, and have actaully come up with a lot of info seeing as the vast majority of 02 nuts don't know they exist. I ought to write a book on them when I 'm done, but it could take awhile to find them all.

Jordan

Here is #1491 in the early 90's.

Also, of the ten exotic turbo, two of the colors are unknown, and one of them was described as being for the BMW carpark, for shows. This could be your friends car. Could you get its VIN? That would help alot.

Jordan

post-2448-13667597292238_thumb.jpg

post-2448-1366759729311_thumb.jpg

post-2448-13667597293983_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

i've bought a black turbo few days ago, it was ordered by BMW dealer in black, I don't know if it was painted in BMW factory or by dealer...

smonter

M3 E30 alpinweiss - 2002tii touring E6 chamonix - 2002 turbo E20 chamonix

MCoupè E36 imolarot - Z1 E30 toprot

2002 turbo E20 polaris silver (nomoreblack) - 120i cabrio E88 diamondschwarz - 1MCoupè E82 diamondschwarz